|Areas of Expertise
- Food and bioprocess
- Machinery systems
- Natural resources
- Engineering properties and quality of food and biomaterials
- Rheology of food and other macromolecular systems and hydrogels
- Structure function relationships in foods
- Novel and value-added bioprocess engineering
- Sensors and instrumentation
- Biosensors for measuring certain allergens and toxins
- Encapsulated microparticles and nanoparticles and controlled delivery of bioactive compounds
- Value-added food and non-food processes of biomaterials
- Heat and mass transfer and related unit operations in food and bioprocessing
- Physical properties and quality factors of food materials and design of sensors and instrumentation for quality evaluation of food materials nondestructively
||Sundaram Gunasekaran's Department of Biological Systems Engineering Website
|Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 9,097,653 - Electrochemical detection of beta-lactoglobulin, issued August 2015.
- 9,063,073 - Solid working electrode with replaceable tip, issued June 2015.
- 8,834,704 - Electrochemical detection of beta-lactoglobulin, issued September 2014.
- 8,092,584 - Glue from slaughterhouse animal blood, issued January 2012.
|USPTO Published Applications
- 20160039698 - Method to remediate effluents containing metals complexed with organic and/or inorganic species, published February 2016.
- 20150318070 - Transparent conducting films containing single-walled carbon nanotubes dispersed in an azo dye, published November 2015.
- 20140346060 - Electrochemical detection of beta-lactoglobulin, published November 2014.
- 20130264202 - Solid working electrode with replaceable tip, published October 2013.
- 20120129194 - Visible detection of microorganisms, published May 2012.
- Highly selective colorimetric and electrochemical sensing of iron (III) using Nile red functionalized graphene film. Sadak O, Sundramoorthy AK, Gunasekaran S. Biosens Bioelectron. 2016 Apr 23. pii: S0956-5663(16)30348-7. doi: 10.1016/j.bios.2016.04.073. [Epub ahead of print]
- One-Pot Procedure for Recovery of Gallic Acid from Wastewater and Encapsulation within Protein Particles. Nourbakhsh H, Madadlou A, Emam-Djomeh Z, Wang YC, Gunasekaran S, Mousavi ME. J Agric Food Chem. 2016 Feb 24;64(7):1575-82. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.5b04867. Epub 2016 Feb 10.
- Bioengineered vocal fold mucosa for voice restoration. Ling C, Li Q, Brown ME, Kishimoto Y, Toya Y, Devine EE, Choi KO, Nishimoto K, Norman IG, Tsegyal T, Jiang JJ, Burlingham WJ, Gunasekaran S, Smith LM, Frey BL, Welham NV. Sci Transl Med. 2015 Nov 18;7(314):314ra187. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aab4014.
- Use of cationic polymers to reduce pathogen levels during dairy manure separation. Liu Z, Carroll ZS, Long SC, Gunasekaran S, Runge T. J Environ Manage. 2016 Jan 15;166:260-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2015.10.033. Epub 2015 Oct 26.
View Sundaram Gunasekaran's publications at Google Scholar.
|Recent Artistic Works
- Dairy Management Inc.
- Omega Protien Inc.
- Danisco Foods International Inc.
- S C Johnson and Son Inc.
- Viking Machine and Design Inc.
- Bohlin CVO Rheometer,
- TA Instruments Modulated DSC
- Shimadzu UV-VIS Spectrophotometer
- Zwag Micro-Conventional Oven
- Instron, computer vision instrumentation
- softening point instrumentation
|| [email protected]
||Biological Systems Engineering / Food Science
||Academic Program Director
|Address Line 1
|Address Line 2
||1450 Linden Drive
||B.S., Agricultural Engineering, TNAU, India, 1977
||M.S., Agricultural and Food Engineering, AIT, Thailand, 1981
||Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1985
|Technologies Available for Licensing
||Simple, Rapid and Inexpensive Process for Making Glue from Slaughterhouse Animal Blood
Sustainable Process to Remediate Liquid Waste Streams
Nanoreactors as Time-Temperature Indicators for Monitoring Product Quality and Safety
Consumer-Friendly Test for Detecting Very Small Amounts of Bacteria or Other Cells
Electrodes with Low-Cost Replaceable Tips
Easy Test for β-lactoglobulin (BLG) Milk Allergen