|Areas of Expertise
- Cellular regulation
- Molecular genetics
- Protein structure
- Hormone action
- Cell biology
- Chemical biology, protein chemistry and engineering, enzymology, biofuels
- Chemical basis and biological purpose for protein structure and protein function
- How biological phenomena can be explained with the principles of chemistry
- Relationship between amino-acid sequence and protein function (or dysfunction)
- Creation of novel molecules with desirable properties
- Stability of collagen and other proteins
- Processes to synthesize proteins and convert crude biomass into useful fuels and chemicals
- Nucleases, including ribonuclease A
- An RNA-cleaving enzyme that is in a human clinical trial as an anti-cancer agent
||Ronald Raines' University Web Page
|Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 9,085,590 – Protecting groups for boronic acids, granted July 2015.
- 8,962,001 – Nuclease inhibitors and methods for their use, granted February 2015.
- 8,871,916 – Diaryl phosphine compounds, granted October 2014.
- 8,834,918 – Modified multilayered film, granted September 2014.
- 8,722,878 – Biomass hydrolysis, granted May 2014.
|USPTO Published Applications
- 20140335593 – Cytotoxic ribonuclease variants, November 2014.
- 20140235851 – Chemical transformation of lignocellulosic biomass into fuels and chemicals, August 2014.
- 20140220651 – Biomass hydrolysis, April 2014.
- 20140038288 – Cytotoxic ribonuclease variants, February 2014.
- 20130344563 – Nuclease inhibitors and methods for their use, December 2013.
- Convenient synthesis of collagen-related tripeptides for segment condensation. Ellison AJ, VanVeller B, Raines RT. Biopolymers. 2015 Jul 14. doi: 10.1002/bip.22700. [Epub ahead of print]
- Selective inhibition of prolyl 4-hydroxylases by bipyridinedicarboxylates. Vasta JD, Raines RT. Bioorg Med Chem. 2015 Jul 1;23(13):3081-90. doi: 10.1016/j.bmc.2015.05.003. Epub 2015 May 11.
- Thioamides in the collagen triple helix. Newberry RW, VanVeller B, Raines RT. Chem Commun (Camb). 2015 May 28;51(47):9624-7. doi: 10.1039/c5cc02685g.
- Optimized diazo scaffold for protein esterification. Mix KA, Raines RT. Org Lett. 2015 May 15;17(10):2358-61. doi: 10.1021/acs.orglett.5b00840. Epub 2015 May 4.
View Ronald Raines' publications at Google Scholar.
|Recent Artistic Works
- Hyrax Energy Inc.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Organic Synthesis Core Facility
- Rice University, Chemistry, Biosciences
- Isothermal Titration Calorimeter
- Differential Scanning Calorimeter
- Analytical Ultracentrifuge
- Circular Dichroism Spectrometer
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer
- Surface Plasmon Resonance Detector
- Biophysics Instrumentation Facility
||Director, Biophysics Instrumentation Facility
|Address Line 1
||371 DeLuca Biochemistry Laboratories
|Address Line 2
||433 Babcock Drive
||Sc.B., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Biology and Chemistry, 1980
||A.M., Harvard University, Chemistry, 1982
||Ph.D., Harvard University, Chemistry, 1986
|Technologies Available for Licensing
||Hyperstable Collagen Mimics
Fluorescent Assays with Improved Sensitivity
Methods and Reagents for Appending Functional Groups to Proteins
Cytotoxic Ribonuclease Variants
Chemical Synthesis of Reagents for Peptide Coupling
Nuclease Inhibitors and Methods for Their Use
Cytotoxic Ribonuclease Variants
Cell-Permeable Green Fluorescent Protein
Synthesis of Magnetic Resonance Imaging Contrast Agents Using Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization
Stable Collagen Mimics
Stable, Oxidation-Resistant Inhibitors for Reducing Ribonuclease Contamination
Staudinger Ligation Method for Rapid and Reliable Chemical Synthesis of Proteins
Multilayered Film for Delivering Proteins and Other Small Molecules into Cells
Strong, Stable, Semisynthetic Collagen Mimic for Wound Healing, Artificial Skin, Sutures and Leather
Efficient, Lower Cost Chemical Transformation of Lignocellulosic Biomass into Fuels and Chemicals
Protecting Groups for Boronic Acids
Bioreversible Protein Esterification
Traceless Staudinger Ligation for the Synthesis of Peptides and Proteins in Water
Simple, Gentle and Chemoselective Method of Synthesizing Diazo Compounds
New Disulfide-Bond Reducing Agent
High-Yielding Method for Converting Biomass to Fermentable Sugars for Biofuel Production
Improving Drug Delivery with Boronic Acids
Mild, Nontoxic Production of Fuels and Chemicals from Biomass
Improved Disulfide-Bond Reducing Agents