|Areas of Expertise
- Analytical chemistry
- Chemical biology
- Inorganic chemistry
- Materials chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Bioanalytical chemistry and mass spectrometry
- Linear quadrupole ion trap mass spectrometers
- Ion/ion reactions for protein characterization
- Reactions of small-molecule anions with peptide/protein cations in the gas phase
- Reactions that remove charge from the peptide (proton transfer)
- Reactions that transfer an electron to the peptide (electron transfer dissociation)
- Proteins on a global scale
- Develop and apply new enabling mass spectrometry-based (MS) proteomic technologies
- Data analysis software design
- Biological applications of technology
||Joshua Coon's Department of Chemistry Website
|Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 9,053,916 - Method to perform beam-type collision-activated dissociation in the pre-existing ion injection pathway of a mass spectrometer, issued June 2015.
- 9,040,903 - Precursor selection using an artificial intelligence algorithm increases proteomic sample coverage and reproducibility, issued May 2015.
- 8,742,333 - Method to perform beam-type collision-activated dissociation in the pre-existing ion injection pathway of a mass spectrometer, issued June 2014.
- 8,692,187 - Electron transfer dissociation for biopolymer sequence analysis, issued April 2014.
- 8,592,216 - Labeling peptides with tertiary amines and other basic functional groups for improved mass spectrometric analysis, issued November 2013.
|USPTO Published Applications
- 20160020081 - Method to perform beam-type collision-activated dissociation in the pre-existing ion injection pathway of a mass spectrometer, published January 2016.
- 20150376659 - Enzymes for producing non-straight-chain fatty acids, published December 2015.
- 20150340216 - High mass accuracy filtering for improved spectral matching of high-resolution gas chromatography-mass spectrometry data against unit-resolution reference databases, published November 2015.
- 20150259368 - selective C-O bond cleavage of oxidized lignin and lignin-type materials into simple aromatic compounds, published September 2015.
Decoding Polo-like kinase 1 signaling along the kinetochore-centromere axis. Lera RF, Potts GK, Suzuki A, Johnson JM, Salmon ED, Coon JJ, Burkard ME. Nat Chem Biol. 2016 Apr 4. doi: 10.1038/nchembio.2060. [Epub ahead of print]
The Peripheral Blood Eosinophil Proteome. Wilkerson EM, Johansson MW, Hebert AS, Westphall MS, Mathur SK, Jarjour NN, Schwantes EA, Mosher DF, Coon JJ. J Proteome Res. 2016 Apr 1. [Epub ahead of print]
Mitochondrial protein hyperacetylation in the failing heart. Horton JL, Martin OJ, Lai L, Riley NM, Richards AL, Vega RB, Leone TC, Pagliarini DJ, Muoio DM, Bedi KC Jr, Margulies KB, Coon JJ, Kelly DP. JCI Insight. 2016 Feb;2(1). pii: e84897. Epub 2016 Feb 25.
Neucode Labels for Multiplexed, Absolute Protein Quantification. Potts GK, Voigt EA, Bailey DJ, Rose CM, Westphall MS, Hebert AS, Yin J, Coon JJ. Anal Chem. 2016 Mar 15;88(6):3295-303. doi: 10.1021/acs.analchem.5b04773. Epub 2016 Feb 25.
View Joshua Coon's publications here.
|Recent Artistic Works
- Intra-University Collaboration: Genetics, Surgery, Agronomy, Mathematics, Computer Science
- Genome Center of Wisconsin
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Mosaiques Diagnostics
- Harvard Biophysics
- INSERM (France)
- Mosaiques Diagnostics & Therapeutics AG (Germany)
- University of Toulouse (France)
- Hopitale Enfants (France), Pediatric Nephrology
- Hannover Medical School (Germany)
- University of Illinois, Chemistry
- Linear Quadrupole Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer
- DTA Generator, developed by Coon
||Biomolecular Chemistry / Chemistry
Director, The Coon Research Group
|Address Line 1
||4426 Genetics-Biotechnology Center Building
|Address Line 2
||425 Henry Mall
||B.S., Central Michigan University
||Ph.D., University of Florida
||Postdoc, University of Virginia
|Technologies Available for Licensing
||Ionizable Isotopic Labeling Reagents for Relative Quantification by Mass Spectrometry
Real-Time Tandem Mass Spectral Data Analysis for Protein Sequence Identification
Identifying Related Peak Sets to Boost Mass Spectrometry Throughput
Two-Step Process Converts Lignin into Simple Aromatic Compounds
Mass Spectrometry Data Acquisition Method Enables More Reliable Large-Scale Protein Quantitation
Gas-Phase Purification of Peptides Reaps Accuracy in Mass Spectrometry Quantitation
Parallel Measurements by Fluorescence and Mass Spectrometry for Absolute Quantification of Proteins
Labeling Peptides with Basic Functional Groups to Improve Mass Spectrometric Analysis
Increasing Peptide and Protein Identifications with Prioritized Mass Spectrometry
Multiplexed Mass Spectrometry Quantification with Neutron-Encoded Mass Tags