|Areas of Expertise
- Biomaterials and tissue engineering
- Biomedical imaging and optics
- Cellular and molecular engineering
- Instrumentation and devices
- Systems and synthetic biology
- Cellular scale phenomena from both a physical and biological sciences perspective
- Engineering cellular scale systems in order to better understand basic cellular processes relevant to cancer and development
- Surface patterning to direct cell growth
- Three-dimensional microenvironments for experiments in cancer biology, specifically mammary gland development
- Botulinum neurotoxin (bont) sensing and 3d microenvironments
- Microfluidic in vitro fertilization
- High-throughput microfluidics for biological assays
- Modeling and microtechnology to study cell-cell interactions
- Roles of various types of symbiotic ecological interactions and heterogeneity in cancer
- Global health
- HIV viral load (VL) assay that will reduce costs five-fold without any loss of performance
- Microfluidic systems allowing culture of human cells and microbes in organotypic models, extraction and quantification of small molecules signals, and determination of the biological effects of these signals using functional readouts
- Broadly applicable microscale methods to unlock the secret language of cell-to-cell communication in intra- and inter-kingdom interactions
||David Beebe's Department of Biomedical Engineering Website
|Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 9,157,550 - Microfluidic systems and methods, issued October 2015.
- 9,103,502 - Method and device for controlled laminar flow patterning within a channel, issued August 2015.
- 8,986,250 - Drug delivery platform utilizing hydrogel pumping mechanism, issued March 2015.
- 8,940,477 - Method of detecting botulinum neurotoxin and antibodies that neutralize botulinum neurotoxin action, issued January 2015.
- 8,888,757 - Active microneedle array, issued November 2014.
|USPTO Published Applications
- 20150196907 - Device and method for transferring a target between locations, published July 2015.
- 20140273056 - Device and method for extracting a targeted fraction from a sample, published September 2014.
- 20140212963 - Device for isolating a fraction in a biological sample, published July 2014.
- 20140190894 - Device and method incorporating a slideable lid for extracting a targeted fraction from a sample, published July 2014.
- 20140112840 - Device for and method of extracting a fraction from a biological sample, published April 2014.
- AirJump: Using interfaces to instantly perform simultaneous extractions. Berry SM, Pezzi HM, LaVanway AJ, Guckenberger DJ, Anderson MA, Beebe DJ. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2016 Jun 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Personalized in vitro cancer models to predict therapeutic response: Challenges and a framework for improvement. Morgan MM, Johnson BP, Livingston MK, Schuler LA, Alarid ET, Sung KE,Beebe DJ. Pharmacol Ther. 2016 May 21. pii: S0163-7258(16)30078-X. doi: 10.1016/j.pharmthera.2016.05.007. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- High rates of chromosome missegregation suppress tumor progression, but do not inhibit tumor initiation. Zasadil LM, Britigan EM, Ryan SD, Kaur C, Guckenberger DJ, Beebe DJ, Moser AR, Weaver BA. Mol Biol Cell. 2016 May 4. pii: mbc.E15-10-0747. [Epub ahead of print]
- Progress towards understanding heterotypic interactions in multi-culture models of breast cancer. Regier MC, Alarid ET, Beebe DJ. Integr Biol (Camb). 2016 Jun 13;8(6):684-92. doi: 10.1039/c6ib00001k. Epub 2016 Apr 21.
View David Beebe's publications at PubMed.
|Recent Artistic Works
- Vitae LLC, Kathyrn Haubert
- Phillips Medical Systems, Krishnakant Nammi
- Intra-University Collaboration: Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pediatrics, Pharmacology, Animal Sciences, Orthopedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Mechanical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemical Engineering, Cell and Regenerative Biology, Biomolecular Chemistry
- John Hopkins Medical Institute, Biomedical Engineering, Institute of Cell Engineering
- University of Washington, Bioengineering
- University of Illinios at Urbana-Champaign, Veterinary Clinical Medicine
- Northwestern University, Biomedical Engineering
- Dankook University (Korea), Biomedical Engineering
- Shippensburg University, Psychology
- BrightLine DA/FI/TX-3X-A Triple-Band "Pinkel" Filter Set
- Microtechnology Medicine Biology Lab
- UW Carbone Cancer Center
- Biomedical Engineering Center for Translational Research
Affiliate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science
Faculty Trainer, Biotechnology Training Program, Computation and Informatics in Biology and Medicine (CIBM)
Mentor, Chemistry-Biology Interface Training Program
Associate Chair, Reseach and Faculty Development
|Address Line 1
||6009 Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research
|Address Line 2
||1111 Highland Avenue
||B.S., UW–Madison, Electrical Engineering
||M.S., UW–Madison, Electrical Engineering
||Ph.D., UW–Madison, Electrical Engineering, 1994
|Technologies Available for Licensing
||Microfluidic Devices Fabricated Using Surface Tension and Photopolymerization of Liquid Phase
Method and Structure for Microfluidic Flow Guiding
Method and Device for Controlling Temperature inside Microchannels with Chemical Reactions
Method for Creating Constricted Regions inside Microfluidic Channels
Autonomous Self-Regulating Microfluidic System
Method of Performing Gradient-Based Assays in a Microfluidic Device
Method of Forming a Multi-layer Microfluidic Device
Method of Pumping Fluid through a Microfluidic Device
Microfluidics Platform and Method That Mimic the Cellular Environment
Microfluidic Device for High Resolution, In Vitro Monitoring of Neuronal Tissue
Device and Method for Alerting a Runner When a New Pair of Shoes is Needed
Method and Apparatus for Measuring the Environment within a Microfluidic Device
Method of Forming a Microstructure by Using Maskless Lithography
Bioagent Detection Device
Self-Regulating Microsystem that Integrates Silicon- and Polymer-Based MEMS Platforms
Method of Concentrating a Sample in a Microfluidic Device
Variable-Focus Lens Assembly
Methods of Finding, Selecting and Studying Cells in Heterogeneous Co-Cultures
Microfluidic System for High Throughput Screening
Device and Methods for Liquid Crystal-Based Bioagent Detection
Device for Improved Cell Staining and Imaging
Hydrogel Drug Delivery Device as an Alternative to Pressurized Gas or Voltage Transdermal Technology
Simple Biological Method and Device for Detecting a Toxin or Other Chemical
Population-Averaged Method to Quantify Cell Motility and Migration
Improved Method of Pumping Fluid through a Microfluidic Device
Sensitive Assay for Detecting Botulinum Neurotoxin, Neutralizing Antibodies or Inhibitors
Coupling Microfluidic Devices Yields Physiologically Relevant Micro-Environment for Cellular Assays
Device for Efficiently Extracting a Fraction Containing Nucleic Acids or Other Desired Material from a Biological Sample
Microfluidic Device for Capturing and Analyzing Rare Cells, Including Circulating Tumor Cells
Method for Isolating Weakly Interacting Molecules from a Fluidic Sample
Achieving Precision Laminar Flow for Biological Microfluidics
Fast, Flexible Platform for Handheld Microfluidic Cell Assays
Microneedle-Based Device for Steady, Autonomous Delivery of Liquid Drugs Like Insulin
Microfluidic Systems and Methods Applicable to In Vitro Fertilization
Device Uses Air Gap for Easier Fraction Isolation
Snap-On Microfluidic Lid for Handheld Diagnostics and Chemical Tests
Handheld Cell Maintenance and Assay Device with Functional Microfluidic Lid
Low-Waste and Contamination Device for Isolating Cells from a Biological Sample
Microfluidic Device for Rapid Nucleic Acid Isolation and Purification
Circulating Tumor Cell Assay Using Simple Blood Draw