|Areas of Expertise
- Applied mathematics
- Bioscience and engineering
- Colloids/particle technology
- Kinetics and catalysis
- Nanoscale science and engineering
- Polymers and rheology
- Process systems engineering
- Reactor modeling and reaction engineering
- Transport phenomena
- Kinetics and catalysis
- Surface and solid-state chemistry
- In situ catalyst studies
||James Dumesic's Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering Website
|Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 9,242,952 - Method for selectively preparing 5-hydroxymethylfurfual (HMF) from biomass in polar aprotic solvents, issued January 2016.
- 9,206,145 - Single-reactor process for producing liquid-phase organic compounds from biomass, issued December 2015.
- 9,067,903 - Catalytic conversion of cellulose to liquid hydrocarbon fuels by progressive removal of oxygen to facilitate separation processes and achieve high selectivities, issued June 2015.
- 9,045,804 - Method to produce water-soluble sugars from biomass using solvents containing lactones, issued June 2015.
- 8,962,867 - Solute-enhanced production of gamma-valerolactone (GVL) from aqueous solutions of levulinic acid, issued February 2015.
|USPTO Published Applications
- 20160090370 - Solute-enhanced production of gamma-valerolactone (gvl) from aqueous solutions of levulinic acid, published March 2016.
- 20150315663 - Method to produce water-soluble sugars from biomass using solvents containing lactones, published November 2015.
- 20150274685 - Method for selectively preparing 5-hydroxymethylfurfual (hmf) from biomass in polar aprotic solvents, published October 2015.
- 20150176090 - Biomass pre-treatment for co-production of high-concentration c5- and c6-carbohydrates and their derivatives, published June 2015.
- 20150005558 - Selective catalytic production of linear alpha olefins from lactones and unsaturated carboxylic acids, published January 2015.
Active sites and mechanisms for H2O2 decomposition over Pd catalysts. Plauck A, Stangland EE, Dumesic JA, Mavrikakis M. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Mar 22. pii: 201602172. [Epub ahead of print]
Coupling chemical and biological catalysis: a flexible paradigm for producing biobased chemicals. Schwartz TJ, Shanks BH, Dumesic JA. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2016 Apr;38:54-62. doi: 10.1016/j.copbio.2015.12.017. Epub 2016 Jan 16. Review.
Identifying low-coverage surface species on supported noble metal nanoparticle catalysts by DNP-NMR. Johnson RL, Perras FA, Kobayashi T, Schwartz TJ, Dumesic JA, Shanks BH, Pruski M. Chem Commun (Camb). 2016 Jan 21;52(9):1859-62. doi: 10.1039/c5cc06788j.
Effects of Water on the Copper-Catalyzed Conversion of Hydroxymethylfurfural in Tetrahydrofuran. Liu Y, Mellmer MA, Alonso DM, Dumesic JA. ChemSusChem. 2015 Dec 7;8(23):3983-6. doi: 10.1002/cssc.201501122. Epub 2015 Oct 30.
View James Dumesic's publications here.
|Recent Artistic Works
- 2 L Parr reactor
- Micromeretics ASAP 2020
- Benchtop centrifuge
- Catalyst Pretreatment Rig
- 300 mL Parr reactor
- Gas analysis GC/FID & GC/TCD
- FTIR (with 10cm gas cell installed)
- Glassblowing station
- HPLC cluster
- Flow reactor
- TPX rig
||Chemical and Biological Engineering
|Address Line 1
||3014 Engineering Hall
|Address Line 2
||1415 Engineering Drive
||M.S., Stanford University
||Ph.D., Stanford University
|Technologies Available for Licensing
||Low Temperature Hydrogen Fuel Production Using Renewable Starting Materials
Low-Temperature Process to Produce Hydrocarbons from Oxygenated Substrates, Including Sugars
Converting Biomass-Derived Carbohydrates to High-Quality, Long-Chain Liquid Fuels
Producing Liquid Fuels from Biomass-Derived Carboxylic Acids
Cost-Effective Synthesis of HMF from Fructose
Coating Extends Life of Catalytic System
High Yield Method to Produce LGO from Biomass
Better Biomass Conversion with Recyclable GVL Solvent
Producing Linear Alpha Olefins from Biomass
Preparing HMF from Biomass in Polar Aprotic Solvents
Producing Methyl Vinyl Ketone from Levulinic Acid
Producing Olefins for Use in Gasoline, Jet and Diesel Fuels from Chemicals Obtained from Levulinic Acid
Concentrated C5 and C6 Sugars from Biomass
Method to Produce Sorbic Acid and Pentadiene from Renewable Biostock
Cheaper Process Converts Biomass into Furan Derivatives like Furfural & HMF
Production of Levulinic Acid and Gamma-Valerolactone from Biomass-Derived Cellulose
More Efficient Production of Polymer Chemical from Biomass Glucose
One- and Two-Phase Conversion of Biomass to Furfural
Method for Renewably Sourced Diones as Fossil Chemical Alternative in Industry
Biomass-Derived HMF Using Renewable Solvents