|Areas of Research Expertise
- Cellular regulation
- Molecular genetics
- Protein structure
- Hormone action
- Cell biology
- Structure, function, and behavior of bacteria
- Bacterial processes
- Cell division
- Membrane organization
- Cell wall assembly
- Cell motility
- Components of cellular processes using a genome-wide strategy
- Chemical language of bacterial chemoreceptors
- Molecular diagnostics for detecting bacterial infections
- Biomolecular regulation of bacterial mechanics
- Clinical trials on pre-term infants to reduce the rates of harmful bacterial infections
|| Douglas Weibel's Department of Biochemistry Website
|Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Dreyfus (Camile & Henry) Foundation, In, 2010-2018, Special grant program in the chemical science
- EI Du Pont De Nemours and Company, 2010-2019, Dupont young professor program 2010-2012
- International Human Frontier Science Pro, 2013-2017, Characterizing new components of the bacterial cytoskeleton
- Gates (Bill and Melinda) Foundation, 2014-2017, Diagnostics for the control and eradication of diseases in plants and livestock
- WARF, 2013-2020, Doug weibel patent income
- NIH, 2015-2017, Early diagnosis of neonatal infections using urine metabolomics
- L'Oreal Group, 2014-2016, Early diagnosis of neonatal infections using urine metabolomics
- Hatch Act Formula Fund, 2016-2020, Developing 'new' antibiotics against 'old' drug targets (wis01942)
- Gates (Bill and Melinda) Foundation, 2016-2017, Editing the newborn gut microbiome using engineered bacteriophage
- WARF, 2015-2016, Discovery challenge_stilwell
- 9,289,123 - Contact lens for measuring intraocular pressure, issued March 2016.
- 9,282,738 - Antimicrobial compositions and methods of use thereof, issued March 2016.
- 9,101,309 - Method and system for measuring retinal, issued August 2015.
- 9,050,593 - Self-loading microfluidic device and methods of use, issued June 2015.
- 8,486,833 - Fabrication of conductive pathways, microcircuits and microstructures in microfluidic networks, issued July 2013.
|USPTO Published Applications
- 20160175287 - Antimicrobial compositions and methods of use thereof, published June 2016.
- 20160002163 - Antimicrobial compounds, compositions and methods of use thereof, published January 2016.
- 20150321194 - Self-loading microfluidic device and methods of use, published November 2015.
- 20150164321 - Contact lens for measuring intraocular pressure, published June 2015.
- 20130331424 - Antimicrobial compounds, compositions and methods of use thereof, published December 2013.
- Mechanical genomics identifies diverse modulators of bacterial cell stiffness. Auer GK, Lee TK, Rajendram M, Cesar S, Miguel A, Huang KC, Weibel DB. Cell Syst. 2016 Jun 22;2(6):402-11. doi: 10.1016/j.cels.2016.05.006. Epub 2016 Jun 16.
- Straining soft colloids in aqueous nematic liquid crystals. Mushenheim PC, Pendery JS, Weibel DB, Spagnolie SE, Abbott NL. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 May 17;113(20):5564-9. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1600836113. Epub 2016 May 2.
- Ionic hydrogen bonds and lipid packing defects determine the binding orientation and insertion depth of reca on multicomponent lipid bilayers. Zhang L, Rajendram M, Weibel DB, Yethiraj A, Cui Q. J Phys Chem B. 2016 May 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Organization and function of anionic phospholipids in bacteria. Lin TY, Weibel DB. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016 May;100(10):4255-67. doi: 10.1007/s00253-016-7468-x. Epub 2016 Mar 30. Review.
View Douglas Weibel's publications at PubMed.
|Recent Artistic Works
- Intra-University Collaboration: Chemistry, Medical Microbiology, Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Yale University, Molecular Cellular & Developmental Biology, Medicine, Microbial Pathogenesis, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- California Institute of Technology
- University of California-San Francisco
- University of Tokyo
- Lehigh University
- Washington University
- Polish Academy of Sciences
- Princeton University
- Max Planck Institute
- University of Newcastle (England), Medicine, Cell & Molecular Bioscience
- Uppsala University (Sweden), Cell & Molecular Biology
- High-Resolution Microscopy
- Mass Spectrometry
- Photolithography Tools
- Bonding Equipment
- The Weibel Lab
- Biotechnology Center
- Biophysics Instrumentation Facility
- Wisconsin Center for Applied Microelectronics
|Address Line 1
||471C DeLuca Biochemistry Laboratories
|Address Line 2
||433 Babcock Drive
||B.S., University of Utah, Chemistry, 1996
||M.S., Cornell University, Organic Chemistry, 1999
||Ph.D., Cornell University, Organic Chemistry, 2002
||Postdoc, Harvard University
|Technologies Available for Licensing
||New Broad-Spectrum Antibiotics
Improved Self-Loading Microfluidic Device for Determining Effective Antibiotic Dose and Other Chemical and Biological Assays
New Antimicrobials for Treating Bacterial Infection and Contamination
A Novel Series of Antimicrobials Target Bacteria Membranes to Overcome Antibiotic Resistance